lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads and TrieRangeQuery
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:32:44 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> Even non-API changes have tradeoffs... the indexing improvements (err,
> total rewrite) made that code *much* harder to understand and debug.
> It's a net win since the indexing performance improvements were so
> fantastic.

I agree - very hard to follow, worth the improvements.

Just to throw something out, the new Token API is not very consumable in
my experience. The old one was very intuitive and very easy to follow
the code.

I've had to refigure out what the heck was going on with the new one
more than once now. Writing some example code with it is hard to follow
or justify to a new user.

What was the big improvement with it again? Advanced, expert custom
indexing chains require less casting or something right?

I dunno - anyone else have any thoughts now that the new API has been in
circulation for some time?

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com