lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Simon Willnauer (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (LUCENE-1696) Added New Token API impl for ASCIIFoldingFilter
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:56:07 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1696?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12721116#action_12721116
] 

Simon Willnauer commented on LUCENE-1696:
-----------------------------------------

I will be around and fix / adjust it if it needs some changes. If I do not react please send
me a ping on this issue. Thanks

> Added New Token API impl for ASCIIFoldingFilter
> -----------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LUCENE-1696
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1696
>             Project: Lucene - Java
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Analysis
>    Affects Versions: 2.9
>            Reporter: Simon Willnauer
>            Assignee: Mark Miller
>             Fix For: 2.9
>
>         Attachments: ASCIIFoldingFilter._newTokenAPI.patch, TestGermanCollation.java
>
>
> I added an implementation of incrementToken to ASCIIFoldingFilter.java and extended the
existing  testcase for it.
> I will attach the patch shortly.
> Beside this improvement I would like to start up a small discussion about this filter.
ASCIIFoldingFitler is meant to be a replacement for ISOLatin1AccentFilter which is quite nice
as it covers a superset of the latter. I have used this filter quite often but never on a
as it is basis. In the most cases this filter does the correct thing (replace a special char
with its ascii correspondent) but in some cases like for German umlaut it does not return
the expected result. A german umlaut  like 'ä' does not translate to a but rather to 'ae'.
I would like to change this but I'n not 100% sure if that is expected by all users of that
filter. Another way of doing it would be to make it configurable with a flag. This would not
affect performance as we only check if such a umlaut char is found. 
> Further it would be really helpful if that filter could "inject" the original/unmodified
token with the same position increment into the token stream on demand. I think its a valid
use-case to index the modified and unmodified token. For instance, the german word "süd"
would be folded to "sud". In a query q:(süd) the filter would also fold to sud and therefore
find sud which has a totally different meaning. Folding works quite well but for special cases
would could add those options to make users life easier. The latter could be done in a subclass
while the umlaut problem should be fixed in the base class.
> simon 

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message