lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Simon Willnauer (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (LUCENE-1696) Added New Token API impl for ASCIIFoldingFilter
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:37:07 GMT
Added New Token API impl for ASCIIFoldingFilter
-----------------------------------------------

                 Key: LUCENE-1696
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1696
             Project: Lucene - Java
          Issue Type: Improvement
          Components: Analysis
    Affects Versions: 2.9
            Reporter: Simon Willnauer
             Fix For: 2.9
         Attachments: ASCIIFoldingFilter._newTokenAPI.patch

I added an implementation of incrementToken to ASCIIFoldingFilter.java and extended the existing
 testcase for it.
I will attach the patch shortly.
Beside this improvement I would like to start up a small discussion about this filter. ASCIIFoldingFitler
is meant to be a replacement for ISOLatin1AccentFilter which is quite nice as it covers a
superset of the latter. I have used this filter quite often but never on a as it is basis.
In the most cases this filter does the correct thing (replace a special char with its ascii
correspondent) but in some cases like for German umlaut it does not return the expected result.
A german umlaut  like 'ä' does not translate to a but rather to 'ae'. I would like to change
this but I'n not 100% sure if that is expected by all users of that filter. Another way of
doing it would be to make it configurable with a flag. This would not affect performance as
we only check if such a umlaut char is found. 
Further it would be really helpful if that filter could "inject" the original/unmodified token
with the same position increment into the token stream on demand. I think its a valid use-case
to index the modified and unmodified token. For instance, the german word "süd" would be
folded to "sud". In a query q:(süd) the filter would also fold to sud and therefore find
sud which has a totally different meaning. Folding works quite well but for special cases
would could add those options to make users life easier. The latter could be done in a subclass
while the umlaut problem should be fixed in the base class.

simon 

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message