lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: valid scores for sorting
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 15:45:59 GMT
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've decided in 1575 to pre-populate HitQueue with sentinel values with
> score = Float.NEG_INF, as we assumed these scores will not be produced. TSDC
> instantiates HitQueue with pre-filling turned on.
>
> Is NEG_INF a valid score for you?

It was.... people are free to create whatever functions they want.  We
never explicitly spelled out what happens when functions return -Inf
or NaN, but everything still worked.  Now we actually lose documents
and they are replaced with invalid docids.

To work around it, I've temporarily checked the score for NaN or
-Infinity and replaced it with -MaxVal.  I guess that will become
permanent if we decide that those are not valid scores for scorers to
produce.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com