lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 15:53:02 GMT
So, iterating on the proposed changes to back-compat policy:

  1. If we deprecate an API in the 2.1 release, we can remove it in
     the next minor release (2.2).

  2. JAR drop-in-ability is only guaranteed on point releases (2.4.1
     is a drop-in replacement to 2.4.0).  When switching to a new
     minor release (2.1 -> 2.2) likely you'll need to recompile.

  3. Default settings can change, but if the change is big enough (and
     certainly if it will impact what's indexed or how searches find
     docs/do scoring), we add a required "actsAsVersion" arg to the
     ctor of the affected class.  New users get the latest & greatest,
     and upgraded users keep their old defaults.

  4. [Maybe?] Allow certain limited changes that will require source
     code changes in your app on upgrading to a new minor release:
     adding a new method to an interface, adding a new abstract method
     to an abstract class, renaming of deprecated methods.

Mike