lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 17:02:46 GMT
Actually, we started with the *Settings classes (to hold defaults),
but then realized a simple actsAsVersion (single static method) would
suffice for just the back-compat settings and then pushed further and
thought perhaps we should relax our back-compat policy entirely so
emulating older versions is not needed.

So we no longer have the "defaults" class (*Settings).  We may still
do it for the future (for its own benefits), but for just back-compat
of default settings, it seems like overkill.

But I agree, the index altering cases are spooky.  I think this'd make
me favor going back to the actsAsVersion option instead of the hard
flip on our back compat policy (at least for default settings; for API
changes I think 1 whole minor release may be reasonable).

Mike