lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 16:25:11 GMT
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> even as simple as changing default stopword list for some analyzer could be
> an issue, if the user doesn't re-index in response to that change.

OK, right.

So say we forgot to include "the" in the default English stopwords
list (yes, an extreme example...).

Under the proposed changes 1 & 2 to back-compat policy, we would add
"the" to the default stopword list, so new users get the fix, but
still keep the the-less list accessible (deprecated).  We'd add an
entry in CHANGES.txt saying this happened, and then show code on how
to get back to the the-less stopword list.

New users using that StopFilter would properly see "the" filtered out.
 Users who upgraded would need to fix their code to switch back to the
deprecated the-less list.

Mike