lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SegmentReader instantiation
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 14:53:42 GMT
2009/5/21 Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>:
> It looks like this was done in order to implement
> SegmentTermDocs.read(int[], int[]) natively, when using a gcj
> environment, since that gave performance improvements?
Yup, you're right. But something tells me, since Lucene 1.9 many
things changed and this is no longer relevant.

> I agree we should probably remove it, unless there are users relying
> on this.  Maintaining side-by-side sources is difficult with time.
As I said in the initial message, this feature introduces no runtime
behaviour changes, so you can't really 'rely' on it and break if it's
removed.

> Can you send an email to java-user to take a quick survey on whether
> anyone is somehow needing this?
Never subscribed there. Too low signal-to-noise ratio. I can, but ..
is it a must? :)

ICQ: 104465785