lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 20:03:50 GMT
Mark Miller:
> If you have upgraded Lucene over the years and you never touched code to tweak performance,
you still got fantastic performance improvements. You just didn't get them all.
If you never touched the code over the years, your project is probably
already dead.

Shai Erera:
> Exactly ! which is why I think we should relax the back-compat policy "a
> bit".
Index compatibility across versions is verily important, that I can't
argue with.
Drop-in compatibility between bugfix releases, absolutely.
Spare me throngs of deprecated stuff and should-be-dead code on major
releases. And major release is any release that takes more than half a
year, matter not which part of version number you increment.

> And ... (I realize it's going to complicate things a bit) we could also
> decide to have dot release for bug fixes, like we had 2.4.1. So let's say
> when 3.4 comes (3-4 years from now :) ). In 3.6 we don't preserve any
> back-compat. If there is a bug, we fix it on 3.6 and also on a 3.4.1 branch.
> Those that just want to take the bug fixes can upgrade to 3.4.1. Those that
> upgrade to 3.6 get the bug fixes and all the rest of the changes done, so
> they should be ready to change their code.
+1. That's how the rest of the world does it.

ICQ: 104465785