lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 12:24:40 GMT

On May 21, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

>  1) Default settings can change; we will always choose defaults based
>     on "latest & greatest for new users".  This only affects "runtime
>     behavior".  EG in 2.9, when sorting by field you won't get scores
>     by default.  When we do this we should clearly document the
>     change, and what settings one could use to get back to the old
>     behavior, in CHANGES.txt.

I'd reverse 1 and 2 and note in 1 that the old behavior might be
deprecated.

>  2) An API, once released as deprecated, is fair game to be removed
>     in the next minor release.

I presume you mean that it will be present for at least one full minor
release. So, if at 3.1.5 a deprecation is introduced, then it won't be
removed until 3.3 at the earliest, because 3.2 was the first minor
release in which it appeared at the start. I don't think it is fair to
expect users to get every last point release.

If so +1 from a user.

> We still only make bug fixes on point releases, support the index file
> format until the next major release -- those don't change.

Is it just the index file format? I would hope that the behavior of
filters, analyzers and such would not change so as to invalidate an

-- DM