lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 17:48:44 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Michael McCandless
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
>> (That said, unrelated to this discussion, I would actually like to
>> record per-segment which version of Lucene wrote the segment; this
>> would be very helpful when debugging issues like LUCENE-1474 where I
>> need to know if the segments were written by 2.4.0 or 2.4.1).
>>

> That's a great idea, if for debugging only, and it shouldn't be
> limited  to just the version that wrote the segment.  I could see a
> debug section or file that could even contain more info if the right
> flags are set.

I would like to see this, too. In addition, I'd like to store what was
used to create the index, that is the ordered chain of analyzers and
filters on a per field basis.

But whether it is baked into the index or a separate file, or not part
of Lucene, I'm in the process of figuring out how/where to add it to my
code.

-- DM