lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 17:02:45 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> even as simple as changing default stopword list for some analyzer could be
>> an issue, if the user doesn't re-index in response to that change.
>>

> OK, right.
>
> So say we forgot to include "the" in the default English stopwords
> list (yes, an extreme example...).

"The" would be a bug fix. I think most users would expect that to be
fixed. They might be willing, as I would be, to require all their
indexes using that stopword list to be rebuilt.

How about a change that would be a bit more controversial, to which some
would agree and others would not.

I wonder how many people are creating metadata about indexes so that
they can track when an index could/should/must be rebuilt? Some kind of
"versioned tool chain info" for the index. If analyzers and filters can
change output then it needs to be tracked.

-- DM