lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 16:43:07 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> even as simple as changing default stopword list for some analyzer could be
>> an issue, if the user doesn't re-index in response to that change.
>>

> OK, right.
>
> So say we forgot to include "the" in the default English stopwords
> list (yes, an extreme example...).
>
> Under the proposed changes 1 & 2 to back-compat policy, we would add
> "the" to the default stopword list, so new users get the fix, but
> still keep the the-less list accessible (deprecated).  We'd add an
> entry in CHANGES.txt saying this happened, and then show code on how
> to get back to the the-less stopword list.
>
> New users using that StopFilter would properly see "the" filtered out.
>  Users who upgraded would need to fix their code to switch back to the
> deprecated the-less list.
>
> Mike

Hmmm - thats starting to sound nastier. Its another barrier to upgrading
to a new jar. I have to monitor/hunt down and not miss all these little
flags so that docs/terms don't disappear from my index? There is already
some of that and I'd hate to see it grow. I'd rather have a stronger
back compat policy here I think. Its just one thing after another
stacking up to make upgrading a risk/pain at each jar update. I used to
work on a project where I upgraded Lucene often, and it was because it
was so easy to keep dropping in and picking new features as I wanted. We
will really start pushing a heavy onus onto our users if we fully adopt
1 and 2. New users will benefit, but old users, unless they are Lucene
hackers like you guys, will suffer.  Eventually our new users will be
our old users.

I'm fully on the fence. I think relaxing will help development, but
Lucene's stability has also been a strong quality. It would be nice to
see it remain in some form.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com