lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 16:37:30 GMT
For extreme examples like this, couldn't the stopword list be
encapsulated into a single class that's used by the lucene defaults class.

That way if you folks released updates to mostly static content like a
stopword list, new or old users could get it easily with a simple drop
in fix?

Just my two cents.

Matt

Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> even as simple as changing default stopword list for some analyzer could be
>> an issue, if the user doesn't re-index in response to that change.
>>

> OK, right.
>
> So say we forgot to include "the" in the default English stopwords
> list (yes, an extreme example...).
>
> Under the proposed changes 1 & 2 to back-compat policy, we would add
> "the" to the default stopword list, so new users get the fix, but
> still keep the the-less list accessible (deprecated).  We'd add an
> entry in CHANGES.txt saying this happened, and then show code on how
> to get back to the the-less stopword list.
>
> New users using that StopFilter would properly see "the" filtered out.
>  Users who upgraded would need to fix their code to switch back to the
> deprecated the-less list.
>
> Mike

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer