lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Welcome Uwe Schindler as Lucene committer!
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 16:00:22 GMT
Hallo other core developers,

I'm happy to be a new member of the core committers of Lucene. I hope I can
help to improve Lucene in the future not only with numeric queries.

My bio was already posted at the beginning of the year when I got a contrib
committer, but here is it again: :-)

I am 31 years old, born in southern Germany (Bamberg). I studied physics at
University Erlangen-N├╝rnberg and graduated in 2004. Since 1996 I was working
in parallel for PANGAEA (Publishing Network for Geological and Environmental
Data, www.pangaea.de, it is a library for data publications) as software
designer. In 1996 I was one of the early persons started to program Java
applets with JDK 1.0.2 (one of them is still available on the PANGAEA
homepage) and since then I used Java as my primary programming language.

Since end of 2004, I am working full-time for PANGAEA, employed at the
Center for Marine Environmental Sciences belonging to the University of
Bremen, where I live now (and trying to get a PhD in parallel). My primary
business is now design and development of the fundamental middleware
components for PANGAEA. In 2004 we started to use full-text search engines
for metadata search. We noticed early, that geographical information systems
can take advantage of full text engines, but that search using geographical
constraints is also important. Our first FTS was embedded into our backend
database (SYBASE), so it was possible to do joins between the FTS and
relational tables. Looking for a better solution, I came to Lucene. In
2005-2006 I started a new Open Source Project called panFMP (PANGAEA
Framework for Metadata Portals, www.panfmp.org), that uses Lucene for full
text indexing and enriched Lucene with the TrieRangeQuery.

Since 2003 I am also working in the PHP development crew, maintaining the
web server plug-in for Sun Java System Web Servers (my favourite web server
/ servlet container). I also have a sole proprietorship called "Schindlers
Software".

My (IT) interests are Lucene Java, all kinds of XML techniques (my second
favourite "programming language" is XSL), Data Warehousing, Sensor Networks,
metadata dissemination using global standards, global unique identifiers
like DOIs,...

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler