lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 18:02:11 GMT
> I feel the opposite: I'd like new users to see improvements by
> default, and users that require strict back-compate to ask for that.

By "strict back-compat", do you mean "people who would like their search app to
not fail silently"? ;)  A "new user" who follows your advice...

   // haha stupid noob
   StandardAnalyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer(Versons.LATEST);

... is going to get screwed when the default tokenization behavior changes.
And it would be much worse if we follow my preference for making the arg
optional without following my preference for keeping defaults intact:

   // haha eat it luser
   StandardAnalyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();

It's either make the arg mandatory when changing default behavior and
recommend that new users pass a fixed argument, or make it optional but keep
defaults intact between major releases.

Marvin Humphrey