lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene's default settings & back compatibility
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 11:02:42 GMT

On May 19, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> I think you've moved onto discussing something different: should we
> relax our back compat policy.  I'm all for that discussion, but it's
> different from "given our back compat policy, how can we implement it
> w/o harming new users of Lucene".

I don't agree.  Your proposing to go off and do a bunch of work to
"fix the back compat" problem that has to do with our policies, not
with our code.  In reality if were more pragmatic about back compat.
there would be less of a need for it.

Sure, maybe it would still make sense to be able to emulate a certain
setting from a version, but with a more relaxed back compat it might
not even be possible to do that b/c the old code doesn't even exist
and the user has no choice (well, they can not upgrade) but to use the
better way b/c, as you pointed out, we want people to have the best
possible experience with Lucene.  For instance, deprecated code could
easily be removed sooner by saying:  @deprecated Will be removed in
Version X.Y.  Use Z instead.   Seriously, it's May of '09 and we have
deprecated constructors on IndexWriter that have been that way since
January of 2008.  And, at the rate we're getting to 2.9 and 3.0, it
will be 2010 before they are even removed.

-Grant