lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: possible TermInfosReader speedup
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 20:14:32 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <> wrote:

> Currently, when we're seeking a given Term, it does a binary search
> across all term space, including terms belonging to other fields.
> I propose augmenting fields file with two pointers (firstTerm,
> lastTerm) for each field. That reduces range we need to search, and
> instead of comparing Terms we only need to compare values.
> How does that sound?

That sounds great!  Wanna make a patch?

> Also, on the other topic - how hard is it to boost
> TermEnum.skipTo(term) speed to IndexReader.terms(term) level? Would be
> nice for TrieRangeFilter and probably some other filters.

I think all that's needed is to implement SegmentTermEnum.skipTo,
calling something like tis.terms(Term) but instead of returning a
cloned SegmentTermEnum, overwrite the one passed in?

Does TrieRangeFilter use TermEnum.skipTo?  If so, we should certainly fix this.

Also LUCENE-1458 has a more efficient terms index/dict implementation,
but it's probably still a ways off at this point... so if we can make
baby steps in the meantime, that'd be great.

See also this, for historical context:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message