lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Future projects
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:04:03 GMT
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Jason Rutherglen
<jason.rutherglen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is "passing filters to the SegmentReader level"? EG as of
> LUCENE-1483, we now ask a Filter for it's DocIdSet once per
> SegmentReader.
>
> The patch I was thinking of is LUCENE-1536. I wasn't sure what
> the next steps are for it, i.e. the JumpScorer,
> Scorer.skipToButNotNext, or simply implementing a commitable
> version of LUCENE-1536?

Ahh OK.  We should pursue this one -- many filters are cached, or
would otherwise be able to expose random-access API.  For such
filters, it'd also make sense to pre-multiply the deleted docs, to
save doing that multiply for every query that uses the filter.  We'd
need some sort of caching / segment wrapper class to manage that,
maybe?

But we should first do the Filter/Query unification, and Filter as
clause on BooleanQuery, and then re-assess the performance difference.

Mike