lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modularization
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:02:46 GMT

> we can have fine grained modularity w/o having second class
> citizens, and
> we can achieve it without needing to make radical changes -- but
> putting
> more stuff into "core" isn't going to help us get there.

I totally agree.

However, just to stir the pot (and assuming you are well rested), I'll
drop your "radical changes" constraint and suggest that maven (while
it can be a PIA) makes this kind of modularity trivial.

With maven we could easily have:
  /core
  /modules/xxx

Each module could easily declare:
  * its dependencies on other modules
  * the required JRE
  * document its level of maturity

And there are good off the shelf tools to report the dependency
graphs, etc, etc.

If there are any serious moves to reorganize things, we should at
least consider the benefits of maven.

ryan