lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject omitNorms, omitTermFreqAndPositions in combination with stored-only fields
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:46:55 GMT
Hi,

during updating my internal components to the new TrieAPI, I have seen the
following:

I index a lot of numeric fields with trie encoding omitting norms and term
frequency. This works great. Luke shows that both is omitted.

As I sometimes also want to have the components of the field stored and want
to use the same field name for it. So I add additionally the field again to
the document, but stored only (as the Field c'tor using a TokenStream cannot
additionally store the field). As it is stored only, I thought, that I can
left out explicit setting of omitNorms and omitTermFreqAndPositions. After
adding the stored-only-without-omits field, Luke shows all fields with norms
enabled.

In my opinion, this is not intuitive, in my opinion, o.a.l.document.Field
should switch both omit options on when storing fields only. Or the internal
FieldInfo.update(boolean isIndexed, boolean storeTermVector, boolean
storePositionWithTermVector, boolean storeOffsetWithTermVector, boolean
omitNorms, boolean storePayloads, boolean omitTermFreqAndPositions) should
only change the omit options, if the isIndexed parameter (not
this.isIndexed) is also true.

Is this a bug or a feature? Should I open an JIRA issue? I think the above
would fix it.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen