lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <>
Subject Re: IndexReader plugins
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:33:21 GMT
Mark Miller wrote:
> The distinction I am making with core is that we will have to call known
> methods on those
> core 'modules' that are not very generic? Doesn't that keep it from playing
> nice with the very generic 'attach this to this segment'?
Genericity spans binding, notifications and retrieval of a component
from a reader.

For binding and notifications you can do whatever you want inside your
component, because you're provided with the full public IndexReader
When you retrieve a component, you get your very own interface with
all your needed and totally nongeneric methods.

ObscureComponent c = reader.plugin(ObscureComponent.class);

This very code can be located both in userland, dealing with custom
components and in coreland, dealing with well-known Lucene core

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (
ICQ: 104465785

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: