lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modularization
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:48:13 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:25, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> Or just make it trivial to get all jars that fit a given profile w/o
> actually merging those jars into an uber-jar ... does maven's
> dependency management have any like "bundles" or "virtual packages" so
> we could publish a "lucene-all-analzers" POM that didn't have an actual
> lucene-all-analyzers.jar but listed dependencies on all of the individual
> jars?

Maven can do this. Not sure transitive dependencies were meant to be
used that way, but they definetly work like you want.

> I think ideally the existig contrib/analysis would be broken up by
> language -- even if that means only 2 or 3 classes per jar -- but i don't
> deal with multilingual stuff much so i don't have much of an opinoin ...
> perhaps the majority of our users that deal with non-english tend to deal
> with *lots* of langauges so having a single "multilingual-analysis" module
> would be suitable.

I bet lots of users dealing with non-english language deal only with
it, because they're providing local services. Like we're working with
a mix of russian/english/ukrainian.

But my point really is that I don't see any adequate reason to have
dozens of well-defined micromodules.
People that care big time about dead weight in their distributions
should use tools like jar jar links anyway. (If I remember right, one
of its abilities is to build an uberjar from a bunch of jars, dropping
unused classes in the process)

ICQ: 104465785