lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: Synonym filter with support for phrases?
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:57:06 GMT

> Well, everyone has his own requirements for the search quality. For us
> it was a problem.

The topic is subjective... I don't see this as a deterioration in search
quality. Let me explain.

Your example concerns phrase queries, so somebody would have to keep adding
terms to a phrase. My experience with open search queries (I had access to a
larger slice of queries from Microsoft Live) is that phrases are a minority of
all searches. In the most common case, people will look for a union of terms,
and for these queries the solution I described would work just fine.

Another thing is that my use case for "phrase synonyms" is that people would
look for exact synonym phrases, but rarely expand them to cover something
beyond. Therefore a phrase "big apple" would find a synonym match (which is what
I want), but longer phrases such as "restaurants in the big apple" would not
(like you said). The big question is, of course, if somebody asking for that
specific phrase would be interested in finding a document where this phrase does
not occur in its exact form (but as a synonym).

We deviated off course with this conversation though. I see your point and I
respect it.

Dawid