lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject omitTF comment
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:30:38 GMT
The omitTf comment is:

  /** Expert:
   *
   * If set, omit term freq, positions and payloads from postings for
this field.
   * While it reduces storage space required in the index,
   * it also means any query requiring positional
   * infromation, such as {@link PhraseQuery} or {@link
   * SpanQuery} subclasses will silently fail to find
   * results.
   */
  void setOmitTermFreqAndPositions(boolean omitTermFreqAndPositions);

I'd almost like to factor 'danerous' into something a little less
oft-putting for a newer or less hardcore user. I know we have this
marked as expert, but common, decent, advice might be to set each of
your fields to use as little as necessary - often that will mean using
this setting.

How about:

  /** Expert:
   *
   * If set, omit term freq, positions and payloads from postings for
this field.
   * be sure you are familiar with the following:
   * While it reduces storage space required in the index,
   * it also means any query requiring positional
   * infromation, such as {@link PhraseQuery} or {@link
   * SpanQuery} subclasses will silently fail to find
   * results.
   */
  void setOmitTermFreqAndPositions(boolean omitTermFreqAndPositions);

Kind of nit picky I know.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com