lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: I wanna contribute a Chinese analyzer to lucene
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:42:55 GMT
In addition to Ken's suggestions, check out http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute
for some help on getting set up. - Steve

From: Ken Krugler [mailto:kkrugler_lists@transpac.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:16 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: I wanna contribute a Chinese analyzer to lucene

I wrote a Analyzer for apache lucene for analyzing sentences in Chinese language, it's called
imdict-chinese-analyzer as it is a subproject of imdict<http://www.imdict.net/>, which
is an intelligent online dictionary.

The project on google code is here: http://code.google.com/p/imdict-chinese-analyzer/

I took a quick look, but didn't see any code posted there yet.

[snip]

This Analyzer contains two packages, the source code and the lexical dictionary. I want to
publish the source code using Apache license, but the dictionary which is under an ambigus
license was not create by me.
So, can I only submit the source code to lucene contribution repository, and let the users
download the dictionary from the google code site?

I believe your code can be a contrib, with a reference to the dictionary. So a first step
would be to open an issue in Lucene's Jira (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE),
and post your source as a patch.

The best way to get the right answer to the legal issue is to post it to the legal-discuss@apache.org
list (join it first), as Apache's lawyers can then respond to your specific question.

-- Ken

--
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378