lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modularization (was: Re: New flexible query parser)
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:23:39 GMT

On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> What if (maybe for 3.0, since we can mix in 1.5 sources at that
> point?) we change how Lucene is bundled, such that core queries and
> contrib/query/* are in one JAR (lucene-query-3.0.jar)?  And
> lucene-analyzers-3.0.jar would include contrib/analyzers/* and
> org/apache/lucene/analysis/*.  And lucene-queryparser.jar, etc.

Since we are just talking about packaging, why can't we have both/all
of the above?  Individual jars, as well as one "big" jar, that
contains everything (or, everything that has only dependencies we can
ship, or "everything" that we deem important for an OOTB experience).
I, for one, find it annoying to have to go get snowball, analyzers,
spellchecking and highlighting separate in most cases b/c I almost
always use all of them and don't particularly care if there are extra
classes in a JAR, but can appreciate the need to do that in specific
instances where leaner versions are needed.  After all, the Ant magic
to do all of this is pretty trivial given we just need to combine the
various jars into a single jar (while keeping the indiv. ones)

If there is a sense that some contribs aren't maintained or aren't as
"good", then we need to ask ourselves whether they are:
1. stable and solid and don't need much care and are doing just fine
thank you very much, or,
2. need to be archived, since they only serve as a distraction, or
3. in need of a new champion to maintain/promote them

-Grant