lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug in TopFieldCollector?
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:20:28 GMT
Already did !

Another question - I think we somehow broke TopFieldCollector ...
Previously, in TopFieldDocCollector, it accepted an IndexReader as a
parameter, and now it requires IndexReader[], which is called subReaders.
Calling the 'fast' search methods with Sort has no problem obtaining that
IndexReader[] (and sort it), but how would someone use TopFieldCollector w/o
calling the appropriate Searcher methods?

For example, since all the Searcher methods pass in fillFields = true, I
wanted to use the method Searcher.search(Query, TopFieldCollector) in the
test case I wrote, which BTW looks like this:

  public void testSortWithoutFillFields() throws Exception {

    // There was previously a bug in TopFieldCollector when fillFields was
set
    // to false - the same doc and score was set in ScoreDoc[] array. This
test
    // asserts that if fillFields is false, the documents are set properly.
It
    // does not use Searcher's default search methods (with Sort) since all
set
    // fillFields to true.
    Sort sort = new Sort();
    int nDocs=10;

    TopDocsCollector tdc = new TopFieldCollector(sort, nDocs,
        new IndexReader[] { ((IndexSearcher) full).getIndexReader() },
false);

    full.search(new MatchAllDocsQuery(), tdc);

    ScoreDoc[] sd = tdc.topDocs().scoreDocs;
    for (int i = 1; i < sd.length; i++) {
      assertTrue(sd[i].doc != sd[i - 1].doc);
    }
  }

You'll notice that creating a TopFieldCollector now is much more complicated
and *ugly*. As a user of IndexSearcher, I can only call getIndexReader()
which returns a single IndexReader. I don't have access to gatherSubReaders
and sortSubReaders. I don't see why I should have access to them. So it
forces me to create a dummy array with a single IndexReader.

There are two ways I see to solve it:
1. Introduce a getIndexReaders() method on IndexSearcher, which will return
an array of (sorted?) IndexReader.
2. Introduce a new constructor in TopFieldCollector which accepts a single
IndexReader and make the other one package-private (for use by IndexSearcher
only). That constructor can internally create a dummy array of readers, but
at least it's private to the constructor and not exposed to the rest of the
world.

Otherwise, I think it ruins TopFieldCollector and will make it a lot less
intuitive to use. At least, people who'd want to move from
TopFieldDocCollector to TopFieldCollector, will find it very inconvenient
and strange.

What do you think? I can do that (2) as part of 1575. If (1) is better, then
I think a different issue should be opened, because we might want to return
such an array as sorted or something, which makes it less trivial.

Shai