lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <>
Subject Re: Modularization
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:09:19 GMT
> - contrib has always had a lower bar and stuff was committed under
> that lower bar - there should be no blanket promotion.
> - contrib items may have different dependencies... putting it all
> under the same source root can make a developers job harder
> - many contrib items are less related to lucene-java core indexing and
> searching... if there is no contrib, then they don't belong in the
> lucene-java project at all.
> - right now it's clear - core can't have dependencies on non-core
> classes.  If everything is stuck in the same source tree, that goes
> away.
Adding to this, afaik contribs have no java 1.4 restriction. If you
merge them into the core, you must either enforce it for contribs, or
lift it from the core. I think both variants may be a reason for
several heart attacks :)
One could argue that five years after 1.5 was released Lucene is going
to use it, so the point is no longer relevant. Sorry, 1.7 is just
behind the door.

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (
ICQ: 104465785

To unsubscribe, e-mail: