lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <>
Subject Use of Unicode data in Lucene
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:22:39 GMT
Hi all,

I've started working on something similar to, which is about
creating a better (more universal) normalizer for words that "look
the same".

I'd like to avoid the dependency on ICU4J, which (I think) would
otherwise prevent the code from being part of the core - due to
license issues, it would have to languish in contrib.

I can implement the functionality just using the data tables from the
Unicode Consortium, including,
but there's still the issue of the Unicode data license and its
compatibility with Apache 2.0.

Does anybody know whether
creates an issue? What's the process for vetting a license? Or is
this something I should be posting to a different list?

-- Ken
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378

To unsubscribe, e-mail: