lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: TrieRange
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 14:58:25 GMT
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> I understand how it works and how one would need to configure it such
>> that it be sortable if needed - but my point was really much more
>> about allowing people to do things differently if needed.
>
> Propose an API to generate the document fields, which should be simple for
> beginners (like now), but flexible!

Simplicity for beginners can always be layered on top if enough power
and flexibility is exposed (my bias).

// the first entry is full precision, the remaining entries have less
String[] trieCode(long sortableBits)

long getSortableBits(long value)
long getSortableBits(double value)
long getSortableBits(Date date)

// example usage:
String[] terms = trieCode(getSortableBits(1.4142135d))

This API concentrates on bit manipulation and term generation
(Strings) w/o getting into things like Fields and Documents.

-Yonik