lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: failure in TestTrieRangeQuery
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:17:18 GMT

: By allowing Random to randomly seed itself, we effectively test a much
: much larger space, ie every time we all run the test, it's different.  We can
: potentially cast a much larger net than a fixed seed.

i guess i'm just in favor of less randomness and more iterations.

: Fixing the bug is the "easy" part; discovering a bug is present is where
: we need all the help we can get ;)

yes, but knowing a bug is there w/o having any idea what it is or how to
trigger it can be very frustrating.

it would be enough for tests to pick a random number, log it, and then use
it as the seed ... that way if you get a failure you at least know what
seed was used and you can then hardcode it temporarily to reproduce/debug

-Hoss