lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Porting benchmark suite
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:45:21 GMT

On Feb 10, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:

> > to be able to benchmark indexing and querying at the same time.
> Basically, X threads querying in parallel while writes/commits are
> taking place.

I should add "reopens" to the writes/commits

> +1 Agreed, this is useful for benchmarking realtime search (which is
> some of the motivation for learning and improving the benchmark code).

Definitely.

The other thing I think that would be useful is the ability to
"induce" a collection with certain characteristics.  For instance,
perhaps I'd like 1 million documents with a field that that contains
457,893 unique terms in it, spread across those documents.  Then, I'd
like to be able to sort on that field and benchmark said sorting,
FieldCaching, etc.  I know it takes the randomness out of things, but
in some cases, you want specific characteristics for testing.  Of
course, this should all be easy enough with a DocMaker, so no worries
on implementing it.

-Grant