lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: LIA2 on l.a.o/java OK?
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:27:40 GMT
On Feb 20, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Isn't that what http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Resources is
> for?  I like LIA as much as the next person,  but if we do it for
> LIA2 then it opens the door for others (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lucene&x=0&y=0

> ) which will likely clutter the page quite a bit.

There is precedent.  Other books do make it to Apache sites.  iBatis
has the Manning cover in the lower-left sidebar: <http://ibatis.apache.org/
 >.  Wicket has three big book covers: <http://wicket.apache.org/>.
Struts more subtly: <http://struts.apache.org/>.  ActiveMQ has a news
blurb with big book cover: <http://activemq.apache.org/>

As for other books making it there... that'd be fine by me to have a
few book covers shown on the home page.  I imagine we won't hear other
authors even asking.

>  I just don't think we can imply that LIA2 is the "official book on
> Lucene".

It's the only book dedicated exclusively to Lucene that I'm aware of,
and all of the co-authors are committers/PMC members and active
members of the community.  It's about as "official" as it gets.

Books on open source projects lend a great deal of credibility and
I've seen first hand that they are used as deciding factors when
choosing a technology.  A book means it is mature and has a good
following.

Personal bias noted - I support putting it on the home page, and also
news blurbs when there is activity, like when it goes to print and is
available in hardcopy.

	Erik