lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: failure in TestTrieRangeQuery
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:36:35 GMT

On Feb 3, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : By allowing Random to randomly seed itself, we effectively test a
> much
> : much larger space, ie every time we all run the test, it's
> different.  We can
> : potentially cast a much larger net than a fixed seed.
>
> i guess i'm just in favor of less randomness and more iterations.
>
> : Fixing the bug is the "easy" part; discovering a bug is present is
> where
> : we need all the help we can get ;)
>
> yes, but knowing a bug is there w/o having any idea what it is or
> how to
> trigger it can be very frustrating.

I agree, it's frustrating.  But I'd prefer to know the bug is there
and then
writhe in frustration at not being able to reproduce it very easily,
then let
the bug go undetected.  I guess ignorance is not bliss, for me ;)

> it would be enough for tests to pick a random number, log it, and
> then use
> it as the seed ... that way if you get a failure you at least know
> what
> seed was used and you can then hardcode it temporarily to reproduce/
> debug

+1!  I like this approach.  We could record the seed up front, and
then in
  a try/finally if the test failed, print the seed.

Mike