lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integrating Language Models into Lucene
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:06:50 GMT

On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Koren Krupko wrote:

> I'm familiar with their work. They implemented only one model and
> made very
> "model proprietary" changes in the index. In addition, it was done a
> long
> time ago (not compatible to current versions of Lucene).

I figured as much

> My goal is to build
> basic LM software infrastructure (indexing + scoring) to allow future
> implementation of different other models without touching the core.
> I would have liked to insert these changes in a fundamental manner
> fully
> integrating them into the Lucene project thus allowing code
> maintenance and
> backward compatibility of future releases.

+1.  Like I said, this fits well with the goal of "flexible
indexing" (which should also be called "flexible scoring" or whatever)
so those are things to keep in mind.

Have a look at the How To Contribute section on the wiki and keep in
mind that small incremental, back-compatible patches are often easier
to swallow than very large ones that massively change things.

At any rate, what you are proposing is very interesting and exciting
(to me, anyway).

-Grant