lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Realtime Search
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:20:34 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> So then I think we should start with approach #2 (build real-time on
> top of the Lucene core) and iterate from there.  Newly added docs go
> into a tiny segments, which IndexReader.reopen pulls in.  Replaced or
> deleted docs record the delete against the right SegmentReader (and
> LUCENE-1314 lets reopen carry those pending deletes forward, in RAM).
>
> I would take the simple approach first: use ordinary SegmentReader on
> a RAMDirectory for the tiny segments.  If that proves too slow, swap
> in Memory/InstantiatedIndex for the tiny segments.  If that proves too
> slow, build a reader impl that reads from DocumentsWriter RAM buffer.

+1 This sounds like a good approach to me.  I don't see any fundamental
reasons why we need different representations, and fewer implementations
of IndexWriter and IndexReader is generally better, unless they get way
too hairy.  Mostly it seems that real-time can be done with our existing
toolbox of datastructures, but with some slightly different control
structures.  Once we have the control structure in place then we should
look at optimizing data structures as needed.

Doug