lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Cowan <co...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: 2.9/3.0 plan & Java 1.5
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:30 GMT
Just for the record, to pick up this point of Grant's:

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> IIRC, we also agreed that we didn't feel any compelling reason to make a
> sweeping change to generics, but would likely just add them as we see
> 'em, unless of course someone wants to do a wholesale patch.

I'll go on record as saying that if doing a 'wholesale patch' is the
easiest way, I'm more than happy to do so. As an experiment I tried
using a combination of Eclipse's "infer generic type arguments" (which
is brilliant, but not perfect) and manual changes (where Eclipse doesn't
quite manage to nail it) and managed to get ~2000 'use of raw types'
warnings throughout the Lucene trunk codebase down to ~1000 in the space
of an hour or so.

There's a little bit of manual tidy-up involved but it's something I've
done plenty of before (both internally and on external APIs, which
obviously require more care) -- but if you want someone to do the
gruntwork, well, just let me know when the 3.0-dev branch exists and is
ready for commits and I'll set aside a day and give it a crack.

Cheers,

Paul