lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java logging in Lucene
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:03:25 GMT
The infoStream stuff goes back to 1997, before there was log4j or any
other Java logging framework.

There's never been a big push to add logging to Lucene.  It would add a
dependency, and Lucene's jar has always been standalone, which is nice.
  Dependencies can conflict.  If Lucene requires one version of a
dependency, then it may not work well with code that require a different
version of that dependency.

And it hasn't been clear which framework to adopt.  Log4j is the
granddaddy, then there's Java logging and commons logging.  Today the
preferred framework is probably SLF4J.  Good thing we didn't choose the
wrong one years ago!

And how many log entries would folks really want to see per query or
document indexed?  In production I don't think most folks want to see
more than one entry per query or document indexed.  So finer-grained
logging would be for debugging.  For that one can instead use a
debugger.  Hence the traditional lack of demand for detailed logging in
Lucene.

That's the history as I recall it.  The future is less clear.

Doug