lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Realtime Search
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:17:40 GMT
Also, if you are thinking that accessing the "buffer" directly will
be faster than "parsing" the packed structure, I'm not so sure.

You can review the source for the various buffers, and since the is
no "struct" support in Java, you end up combining bytes to make
longs, etc. Also, a lot of the accesses are though Unsafe, which is
slower than the indirection on a Java object to access a field.

My review of these classes makes me think that parsing the "skip to"
index once into java objects for later use is going to be a lot
faster overall than accessing the entire mapped file directly on
every invocation.