lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <>
Subject RE: Broken javadocs->site docs links
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:38:02 GMT
On 11/07/2008 at 1:35 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Steven A Rowe wrote:
> > This would not entirely fix the issue; each version's
> > javadocs should link to the same version of the site docs,
> > rather than to the latest version (which is what I assume you
> > mean here).
> Right.  The javadocs should use a relative link to point to versioned
> docs.

I just discovered that simply changing the URLs to be relative won't do the trick either,
since the javadocs exist in two forms: combined core+contrib, and separate core and contrib.

The javadocs for has a working link to link to queryparsersyntax.html
(link text: "query syntax"), as a result of using a relative URL, in the combined core+contrib
form (the first URL below); however, the link is broken in the separate core form (the second
URL below), because the number of parent path elements differs between the two:

Similarly, the MemoryIndex javadocs (which contain a link to queryparsersyntax.html) would
have a broken link in one or the other of the two forms, if the absolute URL were changed
to a relative URL:

A possible fix: the core+combined javadocs could add another path element, resulting in URLs

That way relative URLs would work for both the combined and separated forms, since they would
have the same number of parent path elements.

> But, back to the issue at hand, fixing broken links in the
> javadocs on Hudson seems like a low priority.

Makes sense.  Perhaps a rewriting strategy similar to the .htaccess technique you mentioned
earlier could eventually be employed.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message