lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Broken javadocs->site docs links
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:38:02 GMT
On 11/07/2008 at 1:35 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Steven A Rowe wrote:
> > This would not entirely fix the issue; each version's
> > javadocs should link to the same version of the site docs,
> > rather than to the latest version (which is what I assume you
> > mean here).
>
> Right.  The javadocs should use a relative link to point to versioned
> docs.

I just discovered that simply changing the URLs to be relative won't do the trick either,
since the javadocs exist in two forms: combined core+contrib, and separate core and contrib.

The javadocs for o.a.l.search.Similarity has a working link to link to queryparsersyntax.html
(link text: "query syntax"), as a result of using a relative URL, in the combined core+contrib
form (the first URL below); however, the link is broken in the separate core form (the second
URL below), because the number of parent path elements differs between the two:

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html>
<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html>

Similarly, the MemoryIndex javadocs (which contain a link to queryparsersyntax.html) would
have a broken link in one or the other of the two forms, if the absolute URL were changed
to a relative URL:

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/memory/MemoryIndex.html>
<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/contrib-memory/org/apache/lucene/index/memory/MemoryIndex.html>

A possible fix: the core+combined javadocs could add another path element, resulting in URLs
like:

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/all/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html>
<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/all/org/apache/lucene/index/memory/MemoryIndex.html>

That way relative URLs would work for both the combined and separated forms, since they would
have the same number of parent path elements.

> But, back to the issue at hand, fixing broken links in the
> javadocs on Hudson seems like a low priority.

Makes sense.  Perhaps a rewriting strategy similar to the .htaccess technique you mentioned
earlier could eventually be employed.

Steve