lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mark Miller as core Lucene committer
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 03:19:30 GMT
Guess I'd forgotten:

I'm a Vermonter stuck in the flat lands of Connecticut. I graduated from
the University of Vermont in 2005 at the tail end of a rather unfruitful
17 years of education. I think like 6 other computer science majors
graduated with me in my class (UVM has a pop of around 10,000).
Vermonters love programming computers. Well I did anyway.

After leaving University I started a job with a news/content aggregation
company based in southern Vermont. While there, I dabbled in Lucene
while working on a newspaper archive system. It was there that I got to
see my first 5000 line methods in Java. I still treasure those moments.

That was the start of my Lucene experience, about midway through 2006.
Shortly after, I wrote the Span Scorer classes for the Highlighter that
eventually made it into Lucene. At that point I was made a contrib
committer.

Recently, I moved onto Lucid Imagination, a company that provides
support and services for Apache Lucene/Solr. Its pretty much an awesome
job. Now my hobby kind of intersects with my job, so I spend altogether
too much time with solr and lucene lately. Which is awesome, as long as
your not asking my girlfriend about it. Shes been trying to trick me
into going outdoors for months now.

Finally, I am like the biggest fan of a Song of Fire and Ice by JRR
Martin, so go read it. Tolkien eat your heart out.

- Mark