lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Option to fsync files
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:56:55 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> It is dangerous, but probably not any more dangerous than using a
>> consumer hard drive that lies to sync (don't know the numbers, but I
>> have to assume some/many are doing this with Lucene - in which case
>> you pay perf for a false sense of security<g>).
>
> Well, if the consumer drive is in fact lying, then sync should be
> wicked fast ;)  So you get a false sense of security without paying
> anything!
That occurred to me as well, but they must do some work :) , or the lie
would be to just return...maybe it is. I mean if it doesn't guarantee,
whats the point...oh yeah, to fool benchmarks. Still boggles my mind.

I wasn't being very serious though. Like I said, I'm not suggesting we
allow it to be turned off, I was just looking for it because I wanted to
debug...your option was just as good for my case.

>> Not a real suggestion at this point though. Just thinking about some
>> of the reports I have seen of much slower indexing with 2.4 (the
>> latest being to the solr list today). Can't imagine why someone would
>> see such a drastic change (I imagine you could imagine a lot better),
>> other than maybe the sync is hobbling their specific situation (in
>> which case i'd guess its not lying if it where going to be so slow
>> though <g> Or its AIX or something <g>). Would be cool to be able to

>> flip it off and test. Sounds like thats simple enough already
>> though. I could whip up an off for solr testing easy enough.
>
> Yeah let's dig down and get to the root cause here -- if turning off
> sync in fact fixes the slowdown we should understand why sync is being
> called so often.
Yeah, the root cause is likely elsewhere I'm sure...it would have to be
a pretty broken sync to add so much time (im fairly sure hes using
defaults so he not going to have a billion index files to sync or
something). Just captured my attention as a possibility and I wanted to
be able to test without. Most 2.3 - 2.4 changes don't seem like they
would slow things down. Could be a problem with Solr as well in this
particular case though.