lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Option to fsync files
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:31:04 GMT
It is dangerous, but probably not any more dangerous than using a
consumer hard drive that lies to sync (don't know the numbers, but I
have to assume some/many are doing this with Lucene - in which case you
pay perf for a false sense of security<g>).

Not a real suggestion at this point though. Just thinking about some of
the reports I have seen of much slower indexing with 2.4 (the latest
being to the solr list today). Can't imagine why someone would see such
a drastic change (I imagine you could imagine a lot better), other than
maybe the sync is hobbling their specific situation (in which case i'd
guess its not lying if it where going to be so slow though <g> Or its
AIX or something <g>). Would be cool to be able to flip it off and test.
Sounds like thats simple enough already  though. I could whip up an off
for solr testing easy enough.

Thanks.