lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Code Formatting
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:23:40 GMT
I'd like to clean up a lot of inconsistent code formatting I've seen.
Being consistent across the project would be cool, and its easy to do
with the intelij/eclipse formatting settings out there.

Looks like not so easy to get done though, as you can see from this solr
discussion: http://www.nabble.com/Code-style-td10668515.html

Some good points are made in the thread, the biggest in my mind being
that a ton of patches in JIRA become a major pain to apply/fix.

What about a slower approach maybe? I'd be happy to do a handful of
classes a month or something. Or are there better ideas? Or are we just
stuck on this (not that its a big issue to be stuck on)?

The idea of fixing as patches come in is appealing, but not if most
people doing patches are not in on the game. And it becomes noise in the
patch - I tried to hold myself off from fixing anything in the last
patch I was working on because it just makes it harder for someone else
to look at the patch and just the functional changes made.

It would be cool to have more consistent code  though - especially,
there are some big indenting issue here and there that really bug me.