lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Broken javadocs->site docs links
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:22:39 GMT
Broken links in released docs might be fixed by adding redirects to the
website, by editing:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/.htaccess

The trunk javadocs should not be published on the website.  We should
only publish released documentation.

Doug

Steven A Rowe wrote:
> When the Lucene Java website transitioned to versioning some of the documentation, links
from some javadocs were not modified to follow the resources.  I found broken links to gettingstarted.html,
queryparsersyntax.html, and fileformats.html from the javadocs, in both the 2.4.0 and the
trunk javadocs.  Here is one example, to gettingstarted.html (the link text is "demo"):

> <http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/document/package-summary.html>
> <http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc//org/apache/lucene/document/package-summary.html>
>
> The javadocs for o.a.l.search.Similarity fixes this for queryparsersyntax.html in the
versioned site docs by using a relative URL, but since the versioned documentation does not
appear to be included in the Hudson build, the link is broken for the trunk javadocs (link
text: "query syntax"):
> <http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html>
>
> How should this be fixed?
>
> For the versioned javadocs, the links clearly should be to the versioned site documentation.
 If all of the absolute URLs were changed to be relative URLs, as in o.a.l.search.Similarity's
javadocs, then the versioned javadocs issue would be resolved.  The trunk javadocs links,
however, would remain broken.

> For the trunk javadocs, the links would ideally be to trunk versions of the site documentation,
but I can't find trunk versions of the versioned site documentation on Hudson.  Is this intentional?