lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Option to fsync files
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:46:28 GMT

Mark Miller wrote:

> It is dangerous, but probably not any more dangerous than using a
> consumer hard drive that lies to sync (don't know the numbers, but I
> have to assume some/many are doing this with Lucene - in which case
> you pay perf for a false sense of security<g>).

Well, if the consumer drive is in fact lying, then sync should be
wicked fast ;)  So you get a false sense of security without paying
anything!

> Not a real suggestion at this point though. Just thinking about some
> of the reports I have seen of much slower indexing with 2.4 (the
> latest being to the solr list today). Can't imagine why someone
> would see such a drastic change (I imagine you could imagine a lot
> better), other than maybe the sync is hobbling their specific
> situation (in which case i'd guess its not lying if it where going
> to be so slow though <g> Or its AIX or something <g>). Would be cool
> to be able to flip it off and test. Sounds like thats simple enough
> already  though. I could whip up an off for solr testing easy enough.

Yeah let's dig down and get to the root cause here -- if turning off
sync in fact fixes the slowdown we should understand why sync is being
called so often.

Mike