lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Relax backwards-compatibility policy for package-protected APIs
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:50:11 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> I think *not* having to maintain back compat of the package private APIs
> is very important to keeping our freedom (and sanity!) to continue to
> improve Lucene.  This is similar to marking a new API as experimental
> and subject to suddenly change in the next release: it reserves our
> future freedom.

Definitely +1 on this strategy, so long as it's clearly documented.

Example: I'm working on a new version of Luke, where I use some of the
internal and experimental APIs (e.g. the commit points), being aware
that things may break in nasty ways if I upgrade to a different version
of Lucene. I've been forewarned, and I won't complain. :)

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><