lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TokenStream and Token APIs
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2008 04:56:54 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Bear with me, b/c I'm not sure I'm following, but looking at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1422, I see at least 5
> different implemented Attributes.
>
> So, let's say I add a 5 more attributes and now have a total of 10
> attributes. Are you saying that I then would have, potentially, 10
> different variables that all point to the token as in the code snippet
> above where the casting takes place? Or would I just create a single
> "Super" attribute that folds in all of my new attributes, plus any
> other existing ones? Or, maybe, what I would do is create the 5 new
> attributes and then 1 new attribute that extends all 10, thus allowing
> me to use them individually, but saving me from having to do a whole
> ton of casting in my Consumer.
Potentially one consumer doing 10 things, but not likely right? I mean,
things will stay logical as they are now, and rather than a super
consumer doing everything, we will still have a chain of consumers each
doing its own piece. So more likely, maybe something comes along every
so often (another 5, over *much* time, say) and each time we add a
Consumer that uses one or two TokenStream types. And then its just an
implementation detail on whether you make a composite TokenStream - if
you have added 10 new attributes and see it fit to make one consumer use
them all, sure, make a composite, super type, but in my mind, the way
its done in the example code is clearer/cleaner for a handful of
TokenStream types. And even if you do make the composite,super type, its
likely to just be a sugar wrapper anyway - the implementation for say,
payload and positions, should probably be maintained in their own
classes anyway.

- Mark