lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Similarity.lengthNorm and positionIncrement=0
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 05:08:43 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> I agree we should make this possible.  A field should not be "penalized"
> just because many of its terms had synonyms.
>
> In your proposed method addition to Similarity, below,
> numOverlappingTokens would count the number of tokens that had
> positionIncrement==0?  And then that default impl is fully backwards
> compatible since it falls back to the current approach of counting the
> overlapping tokens when computing lengthNorm?

Yes, and yes.

> Maybe in 3.0 we should then switch it to not count overlapping tokens by
> default.

I'm not sure. There are good arguments for and against it, that's why I
suggested adding it as an option.

If a typical usecase is to submit queries with multiple synonyms, then
the current method works better, because it prevents excessive score
boosting from multiple matching synonyms. OTOH, if a typical usecase is
that users submit queries consisting of a single synonym, then the
proposed method works better.

I'll create a JIRA issue and prepare a patch.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><